It goes without saying that there is no generally valid blueprint for successful collection calls. We have some tips to help you during these calls.
Every debtor is different and what leads to a positive outcome in one case may fail in the next during debt collection telephone calls. However, this is the exact reason why thorough preparation and a certain measure of flexibility will considerably increase your chances of success.
See our tips below to improve your debt collection calls.
Before the call
- Only entrust employees that are qualified and trained to make such a sensitive telephone call.
- Establish clear minimum targets or boundaries to prevent unfavorable compromise.
- Be thoroughly informed and prepared to deal with the case prior to calling
- Gather all supporting materials necessary for example: customer file or list of objections.
During the call
- Develop a clear opening line
- Set an assertive and polite tone and atmosphere of the call.
- Predict or identify possible objections beforehand
- Seek possible solutions with the customer and relay consequences if unsuccessful.
- Summarize results with the customer to ensure clarity and accord.
After the call
- Follow-up by drawing up minutes of the call and send them to your contact person(s).
- Documentation within the system to allow a third person to pursue the case when necessary.
- Keep your word regarding settled due dates.
- Keep the pressure up by continuously assessing your own activities and results.